Monday, January 13, 2014

Yikes...it's been a while

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while, it seems as if the days are just flying by.  As far as the animal front its been a rough one.  We have lost 9 out of the 10 Russian Orloffs.  I'm not exactly sure what went wrong but they didn't seem like a very hardy group.  We added 3 muscovy hens that died 3 days after I bought them.  I have a feeling they were sick before I even got them.  That is why you should always quarantine new additions to your flock.  Capone and Turbo are fat and happy.  Capone still thinks he is a dog and loves to play and will even try to jump up on me like Bailee does.  We adopted a mallard name Rene, apparently he is a french duck haha.  His family decided since he was the only one that hadn't died out of their flock they would just rehome him.  So he went from being in a garage and having cooked rice for dinner every night to being a barn with crumble.  Poor Rene.  The ducks love the snow so much it really is a amusing to watch them just walk out in there line and just sit down.  We still are in an egg drought since its cold.

The pigs were sent into the butcher so we have been enjoying them which I can't say I'm sad about considering all the damage they caused to my flock.  I had no idea when we got them that they would be the most dangerous predator to the flock.

I plan on trying to hatch out a few more ducks and chickens in the Spring.  I think I'm going to look at my "Chicken Bucket List" and see which ones would be good and could handle the weather.  I think more muscovies and Cayugas for the ducks.  The chickens, well I think I might try to get some more Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Brahmas, Faverolles, Javas, Sussex, Wyandotte, Ancona, and Andalusion.  Obviously I won't try to get all of them.  They are usually purchased by the dozen so that would be crazy to by a dozen of all of those.

On a very sad note, we had to put Lilly down on 11/23/13.  She had sodium poisoning that was affecting her brain.  She escaped the week before and came back but the vet said she thought it would be best if we put her down.  The cause is unknown but there a few things that could have caused it such as a salt block that was left out for the deer or some sort of disease.  We buried her overlooking the field where I deer hunt, it is also the woods where she treed her first coon.  My precious Lilly will be very missed.

In other news I'm officially Aunt Tiffy :) My beautiful niece was born 11/23/13.  Her name is Kaelyn Nicole and she is one of the beautiful things I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment